an enjoyable experience. These tips are only a summary, based on personal experience. I am continually learning and don’t claim to be an expert.
10. Don’t go if you are afraid of adventure. Look on the experience as a way to train for an emergency or natural disaster.
9. Practice survival skills in good weather. Bushcraft survival skills are perishable.
8. Get a good pack. It should fit your needs and be well made.
7. Make a tarp shelter that will keep your equipment dry while setting-up a tent or hammock. Practice, practice, practice … many different configurations.
6. Select your tent carefully. Make sure that it is easy to set-up, has a bathtub floor and is waterproof.
5. Camp on high ground. Otherwise a brief shower may turn your campsite into a river.
4. Organize your things. Use clothing as pillow. Put everything in plastic bags to stay dry. In warm weather,select clothing made from synthetic materials that wick water away from your body. Use wool in cool weather, since wool stays warm even if wet. Do not use cotton clothing; if cotton gets wet, it stays wet.
3. Bring a stove or make a campfire. Practice different fire starting methods. Be careful, sparks can melt / burn tarps and tents. Consider your campfire as your TV.
2. Hike the trails. Trails look different in the rain. You will see many amazing sights ….
1 . BE SAFE. Beware of lighting and widow makers, that is, trees/branches that may fall.
Tips for hiking in the Rain: http://hiking.about.com/od/The-Basics-of-Hiking/a/Tips-For-Hiking-In-The-Rain.htm
Backpacking in the Rain: http://heberhiking.blogspot.com/2011/05/backpacking-in-rain.html
Tips on Backpacking in the Rain: http://www.trails.com/how_1515_tips-backpacking-rain.html
How to Camp in the Rain: http://www.survivalandbeyond.net/10-tips-for-comfortable-camping-in-the-rain/
Ten Tips for Camping in the Rain: http://www.scoutmastercg.com/ten-tips-for-camping-in-the-rain/
10 MORE tips for camping in the rain!: http://outdoorandnaturelovers.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/10-more-tips-for-camping-in-the-rain/
10 Tips for Comfortable Camping in the Rain: http://www.survivalandbeyond.net/10-tips-for-comfortable-camping-in-the-rain/
Lightning Safety for Campers, Hikers & Backpackers: http://www.sierrapacktrip.com/lightning_safety.html
NOLS Backcountry Lightning Safety Guidelines: http://www.hikingdenver.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/NOLS-Lightning-Safety-Guidelines.pdf
Backcountry Lightning Risk Management: http://www.nols.edu/nolspro/pdf/OutdoorLightningRiskManagement-Gookin.pdf
Important Lightning Safety Tips, Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI75qYu9Nx4
Shelter Basic Tarp Setups by Dave Canterbury :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoS6ywMkwM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRCENVAbZyM
Videography by Ken Kramm, 2013, Texas, USA; Canon Vixia HF G10, IPhone5 with waterproof case, Final Cut Pro X editing software. Opus One by Jason Shaw Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License http://www.audionautix.com/index.php